Posts for tag: Back Pain
Back pain affects every part of your life, making it difficult to get through the day at work or enjoy leisure time with your family. Fortunately, chiropractic treatments can help relieve your back pain symptoms. Dr. Trek Smith, your Brunswick, GA chiropractor, explain how you can benefit from visiting your chiropractor.
Chiropractors get to the root of the problem
Back pain is often treated with medications. Although they're effective in relieving pain, they often produce unpleasant side effects. Even worse, your pain may return when your stop taking the medication. Chiropractors treat the source of your problem, not just the symptoms.
Back pain usually starts after some kind of injury, such as slipping on the ice or falling down the stairs. Injuries can also occur in less dramatic circumstances. If you ever developed nagging back pain after you slid into home plate or tripped over your child's latest Lego collection, you probably experienced an injury.
Chiropractic treatment in Brunswick offers several benefits
Chiropractic treatment can help you by:
- Gently moving your spine into the proper alignment
- Promoting healing and a quicker recovery
- Improving joint mobility and range of motion
- Decreasing muscle spasms
- Reducing sciatica pain and inflammation
Not just spinal alignments
Although spinal manipulation is an important part of chiropractic treatment, it's not the only method your chiropractor uses to relieve your pain. Depending on your symptoms, you may be treated with massage, hot or cold packs, electrical stimulation, traction or ultrasound therapy.
Your chiropractor doesn't just see you as a set of symptoms. He'll want to get to know you and learn about your job, hobbies and lifestyle. This information can help him develop a comprehensive treatment strategy that will help you recover from back pain and avoid further pain. For example, if you spend the day working on a computer, he can recommend types of ergonomic chairs that will prevent pain and teach you exercises that will strengthen the muscles that support your back.
If you have back pain, Dr. Smith, your Brunswick, GA chiropractor, can help you feel better. Call him at (912) 466-9945 to schedule an appointment. Relieve your back pain with chiropractic care!
Are you suffering from back or neck pain?
You're definitely not alone, and we mean on a global scale.
A series of studies emerging from the Global Burden of Disease 2010 Project, a massive collaboration between the World Health Organization, the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, the University of Queensland School of Population Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and the University of Tokyo, Imperial College London, clarifies the worldwide health burden of musculoskeletal conditions, particularly back and neck pain, in crystal-clear fashion, with low back pain identified as the number-one cause of disability worldwide and neck pain the number-four cause. Overall, musculoskeletal conditions represent the second leading cause of global disability.
Findings emphasize the shift in global health that has resulted from disability making an increasingly larger footprint on the burden of disease compared to a mere 20-30 years ago. In addition, while more people are living longer, the flip side is that they do so with an increasing risk of living with the burden of pain, disability and disease compared to generations past.
Dr. Scott Haldeman, a neurologist and doctor of chiropractic, provides a summary of the project's findings that should make it abundantly clear that conditions many people may consider relatively harmless actually have tremendous potential for long-term health consequences:
- Musculoskeletal conditions such as low back pain, neck pain and arthritis affect more than 1.7 billion people worldwide and have a greater impact on the health of the world population (death and disability) than HIV/AIDS, tropical diseases including malaria, the forces of war and nature, and all neurological conditions combined.
- When considering death and disability in the health equation, musculoskeletal disorders cause 21.3 percent of all years lived with disability (YLDs), second only to mental and behavioral disorders, which account for 22.7 percent of YLDs.
- Musculoskeletal conditions represent the sixth leading cause of death and disability, with only cardiovascular and circulatory diseases, neonatal diseases, neoplasms, and mental and behavorial disorders accounting for more death and disability worldwide.
- Low back pain is the most dominant musculoskeletal condition, accounting for nearly one-half of all musculoskeletal YLDs. Neck pain accounts for one-fifth of musculoskeletal YLDs.
- Low back pain is the sixth most important contributor to the global disease burden (death and disability), and has a greater impact on global health than malaria, preterm birth complications, COPD, tuberculosis, diabetes or lung cancer.
- When combined with neck pain (21st most important contributor to the global disease burden – death and disability), painful spinal disorders are second only to ischemic heart disease in terms of their impact on the global burden of disease. Spinal disorders have a greater impact than HIV/AIDS, malaria, lower respiratory infections, stroke, breast and lung cancer combined, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, depression or traffic injuries.
- Current estimates suggest that 632.045 million people worldwide suffer from low back pain and 332.049 million people worldwide suffer from neck pain.
"The Global Burden of Disease Study provides indisputable evidence that musculoskeletal conditions are an enormous and emerging problem in all parts of the world and need to be given the same priority for policy and resources as other major conditions like cancer, mental health and cardiovascular disease," said Dr. Haldeman.
The seven studies from Global Burden of Disease 2010, as well as accompanying commentaries, appear in The Lancet. To review the studies and all relevant material, click here. And by the way, when it comes to preventing and treating musculoskeletal issues, particularly back and neck pain,chiropractic care has been shown in numerous research studies to be an effective conservative option.
Find out what could be causing all your back problems and how your Brunswick, GA chiropractor can help.
It’s important to note that back pain isn’t a diagnosis, but a symptom of a health problem. Because it can be challenging to know the root cause of your pain, you’ll want to turn to your Brunswick, GA chiropractor Dr. Trek Smith to find out what is going on and what you can do to treat it:
When we talk about mechanical problems we are talking about the way your spine moves. One of the common causes of back pain is a disorder known as disc degeneration, in which the discs between the spinal vertebrae begin to break down. This is a common issue that occurs more frequently as we age. As the discs deteriorate back pain can set in due to the stress being placed on these regions of the spine. Muscle tension, spasms and ruptured/herniated discs are also mechanical causes of back pain.
A sprain or a fracture to your spine can cause both acute and chronic back pain. When you sprain your back it causes tears in the ligaments of the spine. If you have osteoporosis then you are at an increased risk of developing a fractured spine. While not as common, accidents can also cause serious spinal injuries that produce back pain.
Many disorders could be contributing to your back pain. From scoliosis (an abnormal curvature in the spine) to several different types of arthritis (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis; osteoarthritis) to spinal stenosis (a condition that causes the spinal column to narrow so much that it puts pressure on the spine), there are countless medical conditions that could be responsible for your back pain.
Of course kidney infections, fibromyalgia, pregnancy and endometriosis can also be responsible for back pain.
If you are dealing with persistent back pain it’s time you did something about it. Turn to the spinal experts in Brunswick, GA at Back to Health Chiropractic to get you back on track.